Wildlife Activist (ISSN 0894-4660) is published three times per year and is the main publication and newsletter for the general membership. The Activist provides updates on all of the Center’s major projects, including the Lehigh Gap Wildlife Refuge, and the Kittatinny Raptor Corridor Project. The Wildlife Activist also provides feature articles of interest to our members.
The Wildlife Notes section communicates important wildlife news from around the world. An extensive collection of Wildlife Book Reviews provides benefit not only to our members, but is used as a reference for many researchers and academic librarians around the world.
As a service to the community of wildlife enthusiasts, copies of selected Wildlife Book Reviews are available via the links at the left of this page.
Some articles from Wildlife Activist:
For an overview of our strategy in re-vegetating the mountain, read Dan Kunkle’s article Watching Grass Grow — Update on the Restoration Process at Lehigh Gap, and its sequel, Watching Grass Grow II. You may want to follow these up with Dan’s Ecological Succession and Lehigh Gap.
For a bit of history on the formation of the refuge and the funding behind it, Bob Hoopes, our Treasurer, has put together a series of articles, starting with A Dream Come True, followed by From Idea to Reality: The Wildlife Center’s 2002 Transition, and finally Lehigh Gap Wildlife Refuge Is Open For Business. The retrospective, Five Years Ago and Back to the Future provides an overview of the entire process. Dan Kunkle’s article, Remarkable Progress of Wildlife Refuge Land Fund, discusses a bit of the funding that makes the refuge possible.
- Summer 2013 – A Decade of Research and Restoration at Lehigh Gap Wildlife Refuge – by Diane W. Husic
- Spring 2007 – Five Years Ago and Back to the Future: How the Lehigh Gap Restoration Project Turned Around a Stalled Superfund Initiative – by Robert E. Hoopes (pdf file)
- Summer 2006 – Refuge Grass Planting Nearing Completion – by Dan R. Kunkle (pdf file)
- Fall 2004 – Lehigh Gap Restoration Project: Year 2 Progress Report – by Dan R. Kunkle
- Summer 2004 – Big Day of Birding – by Robert E. Hoopes
- Summer 2004 – Ecological Succession and Lehigh Gap – by Dan R. Kunkle
- Fall 2003 – Remarkable Progress of Wildlife Refuge Land Fund – by Dan R. Kunkle
- Fall 2003 – Watching Grass Grow II – by Dan R. Kunkle
- Summer 2003 – Watching Grass Grow–Update on the Restoration Process at Lehigh Gap – by Dan R. Kunkle
- Summer 2003 – Lehigh Gap Wildlife Refuge Is Open For Business – by Robert E. Hoopes
- Spring 2003 – From Idea to Reality: The Wildlife Center’s 2002 Transition – by Robert E. Hoopes
- Fall 2002 – A Dream Come True – by Robert E. Hoopes