Migration Day Resources!
As you play Migration Bingo, check out the following videos to find some of the answers!
- The Monarch Migration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYarmAD5R0&t=81s
- Monarch Tagging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbCXfeBmNBI
- Watershed 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ8Q4ElrGqk&t=1s
- A Watershed Moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0HzID8QyDo&feature=emb_title
Migration Day 2020
Although we’ve all faced many uncertainties this year, one natural spectacle has continued right on cue — the marvel of autumn migration is underway! On October 10, 2020, LGNC is hosting a special Migration Day in lieu of our annual Migration Fest. This new event will provide a chance for families to experience migration, and the landscapes that support it, through a virtual workshop and self-paced activities.
Much like our popular summer camps, Migration Day will be based out of a kit that families can pick up at the Nature Center before the event. Then, on October 10, participants will enjoy a live Zoom workshop and migration activities using the materials in the kit. Participants who share photos of their Migration Day adventures will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win a free Family Membership for 2021!
Migration Day Activities:
Migration Day will begin on Saturday, October 10 at 11:00 a.m.! Here’s what we’ll be doing:
• Virtual Migration Workshop (11:00 a.m.-Noon) — Log onto Zoom to learn about bird migration and the history of hawk counting! Don’t miss a special 3D presentation on raptor conservation.
• Migration BINGO (all day) — Complete this activity in your backyard, at LGNC, or anywhere! Through a self-paced, family-fun game, explore bird and butterfly migration and the habitats that sustain these long-distance journeys. See how many ways you can get “BINGO” as you search for animals and plants, identify threats to migrating creatures, and complete mini-habitat stewardship projects! All of the materials needed to complete this activity will be provided in the Migration Day kit.
• Bird Count (all day) — LGNC and its predecessors have been counting migrating birds for 60 years. Using the materials in the Migration Day kit, keep a tally of the birds you encounter during the day!
All participants who share photos of their Migration Day adventures will be entered into our raffle! LGNC will draw three names on Sunday, October 11 at 7:00 p.m. Winners will receive a free Family Membership (value $50) for 2021!
This event is sponsored by the Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River.