Local artist Carol Mickey is teaching wire tree sculpting classes to adults and kids (ages 10-16) this year at LGNC. Since she created her first sculpture as a child, Carol has perfected the skill of twisting mundane metal wire into amazingly life-like trees in miniature. In Carol’s classes, you will sculpt your own wire trees from roots to crown, taking inspiration from the willows, maples, and other species around the Osprey House. Carol teaches personalized classes at varying levels of difficulty (listed below).
“Trees are a sign of strength and wisdom,” Carol says. By sharing her craft, Carol hopes to inspire new artists to create wire trees, an art form that she believes can uniquely display “all of nature’s glory in one piece.” To learn more about Carol and her art, please visit her website at www.onlytrees.us.
The following wire tree classes will be offered in 2017:
1. Wire Twisting 101 – One 3-hour class (fee: $35) | When: Monday, April 3 from 6 to 9 p.m. and Wednesdays, March 15 and 29 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
In this class, you will learn how to twist wire tightly and create a small green tree (willow, maple, or dogwood) using florist wire.
2. Wire Twisting 101K (for kids ages 10-16) – One 3-hour class OR two 1.5-hour classes (fee: $35) | When: Currently available by appointment only; dates TBA
In this class, kids ages 10-16 (and their families) will learn how to twist wire tightly and create a small green tree (willow, maple, or dogwood) using florist wire.
3. Wire Tree Class Intermediate 102, 1 Day – One 3-hour class (fee: $38) | When: Currently available by appointment only; dates TBA
In this class, you will create a 6-to-8-inch basic wire tree (based on a species of your choice) and learn how to add wire onto a wire tree that is being created. Following the 3-hour instruction, you will take the tree home to finish on your own.
4. Wire Tree Class Intermediate 102, 2 Days – Two 3-hour classes (fee: $60) | When: Wednesday, April 5 and Thursday, April 6 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
During the first 3-hour class, you will create a 6-to-8-inch basic wire tree (based on a species of your choice) and learn how to add wire onto a wire tree that is being created. Bring your sculpture back to the second 3-hour class to complete the tree and add a nest and base.
5. Wall Tree Class – One 3-hour class (fee: $38) | When: Wednesday, April 26 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
In this class, you will create a wire tree to hang on your wall and learn to add wire to create a full crown. Although you will not need a base to make a wall tree, if you would like to wrap your root system around a twig or rock, please bring one along to the class.
Materials: Wire, base, and some light refreshments included. Participant must bring the following: small-to-medium-sized wire cutters, needle-nose pliers, and gloves (optional).
Registration is limited to six participants per class, so please register at the following link soon to reserve your spot: http://ow.ly/1aJt3085u87. Classes are also available by appointment to individuals and groups of up to six people. Please contact Program Specialist Chad Schwartz at email@example.com for more information, or to schedule one of the above wire tree sculpting classes.